In today’s paper, The Monroe Evening News (our host site) published a feature of top ten lists on a variety of subjects authored by Monroe Evening News staff. Rob was asked to come up with a top ten list involving beer and enlisted my help. I thought to myself, wow that is going to be tough! I like to read best of lists but don’t want the pressure of coming up with one. However, we put our heads together and came up with criteria for the list that made it much easier.
- We will feature only Michigan beer.
- We wanted readers to be able to purchase the beer locally.
- We picked only one beer per brewery.
- If we had a visitor from out of town that had never tasted a Michigan beer which ones would we want him or her to try?
- We would list them in no particular order
Here is our list…
– 440 Pepper Smoker: Original Gravity Brewing Co. (Milan, MI):
– Kentucky Bourbon Stout: Founders Brewing (Grand Rapids, MI)
– Calabaza Blanca: Jolly Pumpkin (Dexter, MI)
– Sapient Trip Ale: Dark Horse Brewing (Marshall, MI)
– Hopslam: Bells Brewing (Kalamazoo, MI)
– Dragon’s Milk: New Holland Brewing (New Holland, MI)
– Huma Lupa Licious: Shorts Brewing (Bellaire, MI)
– Final Absolution: Dragonmead (Warren, MI)
– Cocoa Loco: Arcadia Brewing Co. (Battle Creek, MI)
– Phat Abbott: Arbor Brewing Co. (Ann Arbor, MI)
We could have easily added Celis White form Michigan Brewing Co. to the list but this list doesn’t go to eleven. I recommend that beer to anyone especially if you’re new to the craft beer scene and like Blue Moon. The main reason it didn’t make the list is because it is difficult to find in Monroe.
Kalamabrew had a great article this week on a book named ‘1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die’. If you want to link to that article click here. Only ten beers from Michigan made the list (Which I think is ridiculous.)
Are you unhappy with the list? So am I! I did some quick math on variations of beer lists that could have been. I came up with over 13 thousand.
There are so many fantastic Michigan beers out there. Don’t be afraid to try them. A great opportunity to do so will be our 4th annual Michigan Beer tasting at 129 Lounge in Monroe. It will be held on June 24 from 6 to 9pm. We hope to see you there.