The Monroe on a Budget column runs Tuesdays in The Monroe News. Here is this week’s installment.
By Paula Wethington
What happens if you rewrite a well-known movie name as if it portrayed a tight budget?
That was the concept that went viral late last week on Twitter, a social network where clever parodies and a sense of humor are part of the conversation.
Soon after the hashtag “TightBudgetMovies” was suggested – a cue for everyone to start submitting their jokes – hundreds and perhaps thousands of tweets were posted. By the time the conversation finally wound down, it had trended both in the U.S. and other countries.
Here are the some of the best ones I saw, along with the screen names of those who made the post:
- DivaMomVicki: “Planes, Trains and Hotwheels.”
- Wmirick: “Halfway Back to the Future.”
- MarcusBeaubier: “The Lord of the Onion Rings.”
- Digitalb21: “Jaw.”
- DanStabb: “The King’s Elevator Speech.”
- MHanson62: “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxie 500.”
- Kmstexas: “Singing in the Puddle.”
- MPeper: The Muppets Take a Nap.
- 48yardline: “An American Werewolf in Cleveland.”
- JWesWilliams: “The Wedding iPod.”
- Moaiz: “War of the Villages.”
- AlexLevitt2: “Guardians of the Observatory.”
- MarkStevensPD: “The Wizard of Austerity.”
- RTR1879: “Five Dollar Baby.”
- Tweetsome: “Charlie and the Chocolate Shop.”
- Skweatherall: “Kiss Me CheapsKate.”
- LukeCulpitt: “Walk the Poverty Line.”
- Yusraairfan: “0 Shades of Gray.”
- Mojo1679: “Me, Myself and a Lien.”
- MelonHead999: “A Fistful of Monopoly Dollars.”
- themuneeb: “The (Employment) Terminator.”
- Bobster101: “Point Broke.”
- ZarrarKhuhro: “Lord of the Friendship Bands.”
- SquareBiz_T: “Guess Who’s Bringing Dinner.”
- FunnyEva: “Cubic Zirconias are Forever.”
- Daringly_D: “It’s Confiscated.”
- AnsarDar: “Indiana Jones and the Last Pair of Shoes.”
- Pcocteau: “Guess Who’s Coming To An Early Bird Dinner.”
- AbuJazz: “When Harry Spoke to Sally on the Landline.”
- RachDarcie: “The Out-of-Work Actor Mr. Ripley.”
- Coralcave: “Remains of the Pay Day Loan.”
- Na_Mehrum: “The Girl with the Temporary Tattoo.”
- Sikandersidiki: “How the General Store Was Won.”
- DerrickWhaley: “Ironing Man.”
- Usmanpal: “I Know What You Did Last Minute.”
- Mazdaki: “The Dirty Half Dozen.”
- Leave2Beave: “Man of Stainless Steel.”
- AlchemyintheUK: “Desperately Seeking Solvency.”
- Dan2Bit: Tinfinger. Inflatable Me.
- Dan_Bartell: “School of Rock Bottom.”
And this one:
- Lavender1940: “The Man With Golden Pun.”
Readers may contact Paula Wethington at firstname.lastname@example.org or (734) 240-5745.
If you are interested in budget-friendly living in southeast Michigan, subscribe to the Monroe on a Budget weekly newsletter; read my column every Tuesday in The Monroe News; or follow me on Twitter, Facebook or Pinterest.