Monroe MI grocery and drugstore roundup week of Dec. 13
There were two coupon books each in my home-delivery editions of The Monroe Evening News and Detroit Free Press today. Be sure to pull the expired coupons out of your binder or box this weekend, as many of the ones previously in circulation had Nov. 30 expiration dates.
Trending topics this week:
- Seafood, ham, beef roast, and turkey, all of which are traditional Christmas Eve or Christmas Day dinner main dishes, are getting a lot of attention in the grocery fliers. Think beyond Christmas to New Year’s Day or perhaps into January as you pick out your deals.
- Pantry items such as canned milk, canned soup, canned veggies, cooking spray, flour, oatmeal, sugar and spices are marked to the holiday cooks. I suggest stocking up on those items for everyday cooking, and in the meantime check my budget-friendly cookie post for recipe links.
- Lots of inexpensive Christmas gifts such as boxed candy and popcorn tins are in the fliers. Do check my Christmas gift ideas under $20 list for ideas.
- Christmas decor and lights are still easy to find, as some people don’t decorate until first Sunday of Advent (which is today). Basic light strings are very inexpensive, less than $4 in most cases; and the selection of novelty lights is huge. Here’s my experience with Christmas light shopping this year.
- Gift wrapping and bows are easy to find in the stores, but do yourself a favor and check your inventory before shopping. The only replacement supplies I needed this year was a large package of tissue paper and some solid color gift bags.
Local readers: The Saving Sense coupon book was in Saturday’s edition of The Monroe Evening News. You can find the printable coupons online.