Thrift shops near Monroe MI
Are you shopping on a budget? Don’t forget the second-hand stores. Even if only some of your purchases end up in that direction, you’ve cut the total cost of what you would have spent otherwise.
Some of the best items to find on the second hand market are jeans, work uniforms, furniture, kids’ clothes, school uniforms, collectibles, antiques, old magazines, wedding gowns, prom and pageant dresses, First Communion dresses, Halloween costumes, Christmas decorations, small appliances and dishes. Some shops also sell furniture.
This list focuses on Monroe County, Mich., but I do include Detroit, Downriver, Ann Arbor, Adrian and Toledo stores.
- Acts II Closet, 2520 N. Telegraph Rd., Monroe. Sporting goods, furniture, kitchen ware and home goods, resale and consignment. (734) 241-2272.
- Ancestor House Antiques, 3148 Tremainsville Rd., Toledo, Ohio. Open noon to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays; noon to 4 p.m. Saturdays. (419) 474-0735.
- Antique Mall, S. Otter Creek Rd. off I-75’s Exit 9, LaSalle. 18,000 square feet of antiques, decorator items and used furniture. Open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days. (734) 242-3430.
- Bedford Township Lions Club thrift shop, 9100 Lewis Ave., Temperance. This resale shop raises money for Lions Club charity efforts. (734) 847-5466.
- Bellochio Upscale Resale Boutique, 25519 Woodward Ave., Royal Oak. Open Tuesdays through Sundays. Consignment shop featuring women’s designer wear, sportswear, dresses, suits and fine jewelry. (248) 541-8025.
- The Book Nook, 42 S. Monroe St., Monroe. In addition to retail book sales, they also have a used book section. (734) 241-2665.
- Britches and Bows, 543 Rambow Dr., Monroe. Gently used children’s clothing newborn to size 16, also maternity wear, hair bows and flower clips. Hours 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays. (734) 682-3399.
- Children’s Orchard, 887 West Eisenhower Pkwy., Ann Arbor. resale and retail boutique with both gently used and new merchandise. MOMS club shopper card provides special discounts and promotions. (734) 995-8889.
- CK Antiques and Restoration, 17 W. Main St., Milan. (734) 747-1318.
- City of Faith Rummage Shop, E. Second St., Monroe. Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. first Fridays and first Saturdays of each month.
- Clothes Mentor Novi, 43299 Crescent Blvd., Novi. Women’s fashion resale. (248) 348-3830.
- Clothes Mentor Perrysburg. 194 E. South Boundary, Perrysburg, Ohio. Women’s fashion resale. (419) 872-0022.
- Clothes Mentor Sylvania. 5466 Monroe St., Sylvania, Ohio. Women’s fashion resale. (419) 517-4400
- Council ReSale Shops, 3297 W. 12 Mile Rd., Berkley, Mich. Designer and vintage apparel, along with housewares, accessories, jewelry and books. Benefits the charities of National Council of Jewish Women, Greater Detroit Section. (248) 548-6664.
- Council ReSale Shops, 1221 E. Lincoln, Royal Oak, Mich. Designer and vintage apparel, along with housewares, accessories, jewelry and books. Benefits the charities of National Council of Jewish Women, Greater Detroit Section. (248) 542-2600.
- Damascus House, 212 Smith St., Monroe. Items include men’s and women’s shoes, linens, small toys, small appliances and baby clothes. Winter hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays. Summer hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays. (734) 242-8136.
- Eagles Extra Clothing Center, housed at Mason Middle School, 2400 Lakeside Rd., Erie, Mich. This shop features children’s clothing and is supported by donations. It is hosted by the Mason Middle School Parent-Teacher-Student Association. Public sales are announced to the school district families when they are scheduled.
- Fleabay Resale, 120 E. Chicago Blvd., Britton. Variety of items from household goods to antiques and collectibles. On Facebook.
- Friends of Companion Animals Resale Shop, 14500 LaPlaisance Rd., Monroe Township. Gently used items are welcome as donations, but no clothing or electronics. In addition to donated items, the shop is a distributor for Carruth Studios, garden sculptures, Blue Turtle Designs, metal garden art and Avon products. Hours are 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, closed Sundays and Mondays.
- Goodwill, 235 N. Telegraph Rd., Monroe. Tax-deductible receipts for donations available on request. Open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. (734) 457-3447.
- Goodwill, 7300 Secor Rd., Lambertville. Open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. (734) 856-5373.
- Goodwill, 1357 Division St., Adrian. Open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. (517) 263-2135.
- Goodwill, 557 E. Michigan Ave., Saline. Open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. (734) 429-2789.
- Grow With Me Children’s Resale Boutique, 2521 Jackson Ave., Ann Arbor. Open seven days. (734) 622-0224.
- Habitat for Humanity of Monroe County ReStore, 840 LaPlaisance Rd., Monroe. Specializes in home construction and repair materials and home appliances. Tax-deductible receipts available on request for donations. Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays. (734) 243-2048. Monroe ReStore also has a facebook page.
- Habitat for Humanity of Detroit ReStore, 12630 Greenfield Rd., Detroit. Building materials and household items. Open Tuesdays through Saturdays. (313) 653-4890.
- Habitat for Humanity of Maumee Valley ReStore, 229 S. Fearing Blvd., Toledo, Ohio. Open Mondays through Saturdays. (419) 382-1658.
- Hand Me Downs, 84 E. Center St., Petersburg. (734) 279-2403.
- Hips, 10 S. Main St., Clawson. Resale boutique specializing in resale merchandise for women sized 12 to 32. Sellers can receive either cash or store credit. Dresses, accessories and shoes. (248) 435-2130.
- Humane Society of Monroe County Thrift Shop, 15649 S. Telegraph Rd. New and gently used items such as home decor, furniture, housewares, antiques, jewelry, kid items and pet items. “We do not accept clothing at this time.” Donations also can be dropped off for the Humane Society shelter. Volunteer-run shop, all proceeds benefit the animals at the Humane Society shelter. Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. (734) 240-0562.
- Hunter’s Den, 673 Cooper Ave., Monroe, Mich. Consignment shop featuring outdoor gear such as hunting, fishing and camping equipment in good condition. 1 to 5 p.m. Tuesday, 1 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Closed Sundays and Mondays. (734) 625-1808.
- Isabella’s Closet, 21949 Telegraph Rd., Brownstown Township, Mich. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays. First Saturday of the month is a half-off sale except for consignment items. Clothing, household items, jewelry, toys. Donations accepted any time the store is open, charity donation receipts available on request. (734) 341-5693.
- J&L Antiques, 8207 N. Dixie Hwy., Newport. Furniture, household items, collectibles, bookcases, glassware. (734) 586-8506.
- Kid’s Corner, 5942 Secor Rd., Toledo. Children’s resale shop, inventory includes clothing, Halloween costumes, toys and books. (419) 472-4337.
- Kidz Korner, 541 Rambow Dr., Monroe. Children’s resale shop with items such as clothing, strollers, toys and accessories. Hours 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. (734) 796-3489.
- The Lark’s Nest, 111 S. Monroe St., Monroe. The consignment shop is on Facebook.
- Linder’s Resale Shop, 40 Saline St., Petersburg. Gently used clothing, furniture and household items. Hours noon to 5 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays. (734) 807-1660.
- Maggie’s Boutique, 7350 Jackman Rd., Temperance. “Trendy and vintage” resale shop with ladies clothing and accessories. (734) 224-7131.
- Monroe Auction Gallery, 14750 LaPlaisance Rd., Monroe Township. Gallery is open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays. (734) 735-9544.
- Monroe Thrift Shop, 119 S. Monroe St., Monroe. (734) 242-1082. This thrift shop raises money for community projects such as scholarships for students in Monroe County, Mich. Monthly specials on various items. Open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, closing at 1 p.m. Tuesdays. Thrift Shop is on Facebook. Monroe Thrift Shop is on foursquare.
- Neighborhood Thrift, 6014 Lewis Ave., Toledo. Clothing, home decor, furniture, sporting goods. Partners with various charities. (419) 478-8000
- Neighborhood Thrift, 2244 S. Reynolds Rd., Toledo. Clothing, home decor, furniture, sporting goods. Partners with various charities. (419) 866-8700
- Nest Home Consignment Shoppe, 154 Mary Alexander Ct., Northville. Specializing in gently used furniture, lamps, and home decor pieces. Some items are consignment pieces. Facebook page. (248) 773-7591.
- New 2 You, 4620 Woodville Rd., Northwood, Ohio.
- NEW4U, 513 N. Telegraph Rd., Monroe. Featuring gently used brand-name clothing and accessories. Hours are 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Wednesdays, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays. (734) 244-7041.
- 9 Month Bump Maternity Consignment Boutique, 671 W. Jefferson Ave., Trenton. Maternity items, baby gifts. (734) 307-7491.
- Old West End Collectors Corner, 3309 Lagrange St., Toledo, Ohio. Antiques and home furnishings, live auctions and estate sales. Easy access off I-75. (419) 244-0004.
- Once Again Bridal and After Five Resale Shop, 34312 Harper Ave., Clinton Township. New and used bridal, prom, and formal attire. Collection includes overstock and samples from dress shops. Open Mondays through Saturdays. (586) 792-1736.
- Once Upon a Child, 880 S. Monroe St., Monroe. The store specializes in children’s items. Open 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays; noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. (734) 241-9640.
- Plato’s Closet, 144 W. South Boundary St., Perrysburg, Ohio. Brand name, gently used, clothing and accessories for teens and young adults. “Our goal is to offer fashion conscious people great values on gently used brand name product all year long!” Open 7 days. (419) 873-8600.
- Plato’s Closet, 5644 Monroe St., Toledo. Brand name, gently used, clothing and accessories for teens and young adults. (419) 517-7700.
- Rags to Riches Designer Resale Shop, 23549 Telegraph Rd., Brownstown Township. Includes prom and special occasion dresses. (734) 675-1343.
- Ray’s Place, 21 W. Front St., Monroe. Mostly home furnishings. (734) 242-7244.
- ReDesign Home, 32801 Woodward Ave., Royal Oak. High-end furniture consignment. Benefits the charities of National Council of Jewish Women, Greater Detroit Section. (248) 439-6040.
- RePurpose, 133 W. Main St., Northville. Antiques, furniture, household items, estate sales and consignments. Featured on HGTV’s Cash & Cari show and also the Detroit Free Press and Detroit News. (248) 735-0500.
- Salvation Army Thrift Store, 1525 Mall Rd., Frenchtown Township. Donations of gently used clothing, household items and furniture are welcome. Open Mondays through Saturdays for shopping, Sunday is donations only.
- Salvation Army Thrift Store, 1621 S. State St., Ann Arbor. Open Mondays through Saturdays.
- Salvation Army Thrift Store, 14275 Eureka Rd., Southgate. Open Mondays through Saturdays.
- Savers, 3550 Executive Pkwy., Toledo, Ohio.
- Savers, 2613 S. Reynolds Rd., Toledo, Ohio. Clothing in adult and children’s sizes, housewares, furniture. Donations accepted. Designated charity benefit is Easter Seals of Northern Ohio. (419) 382-8081
- Sauer Furniture and Antiques, 15300 S. Dixie Hwy., Monroe Township. Featuring furniture and collectibles. (734) 242-6284.
- Second Chance Boutique, 50 S. Monroe St., Monroe. Consignment sales for attire on men, women and children. Features upscale used clothing. (734) 457-5866.
- Second Glance, 19562 Kelly, Harper Woods, Mich. Open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays. (313) 372-5151.
- Second Glance Children’s Resale Shop, 5942 Secor Rd., near Alexis Rd., Toledo, Ohio. Mondays through Fridays, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. (419) 472-4337.
- Serendipitous, 40 S. Monroe St., downtown. Vintage apparel, furniture, accessories and gifts. (734) 244-5720.
- St. Thomas Community Thrift Shop, basement of Thomas Episcopal Church, 2441 Nichols Dr., Trenton. Open 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays, closed in July. Clothing, household goods and books. (734) 676-3122.
- St. Vincent de Paul Society-Detroit, Locations include 15384 S. Dixie Hwy., Monroe Township.
- Style Trader, 15502 Middlebelt Rd., Livonia. Upscale resale center, gently-used brand name toys and stylish clothing can be sold for extra cash or store credit. Grand opening July 14. Open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Mondays through Fridays; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. (734) 422-6600.
- Sunshine Thrift Store, 37665 S. Gratiot Ave., Clinton Township, Mich. Clothing, furniture, shoes, toys. (586) 465-5930.
- Then and Now, 48 S. Monroe St., Monroe. Resale and consignment shop. Facebook page.
- Value World, 1410 E. Michigan Ave., Ypsilanti. Clothing, home decor, electronics.
- Value World, 345 N. Maple Rd., Ann Arbor. Clothing, home decor, electronics.
- Value World, 12125 Dix Rd., Southgate. Clothing, home decor, electronics.
- Value World, 22615 Ecorse Rd., Taylor. Clothing, home decor, electronics.
- Wild Finds Unique Boutique Retail Consignment, 26654 Telegraph Rd., Flat Rock. Boutique specializing in women’s and men’s clothing, accessories, home interior items. (734) 789-1234.
- Julie’s List has information on southeast Michigan clothing shops and resources in the metro Detroit and Downriver areas, including those that give away formal attire or business attire.
- The ThriftShopper.com has a directory by zip code of thrift shops, and the database does include some southeast Michigan and northwest Ohio listings.
- Be sure sure to check out the Mom 2 Mom sale site for children’s resale events in southeast Michigan.
- Several library branches in the Monroe County area have used book sale racks that are sponsored by the Friends of the Library chapters.
If you know of any more shops I should list in or near Monroe, Mich., send me an e-mail.
Updated Aug. 11, 2014.