Weddings on a budget
Monroe on a Budget has had a “weddings on a budget” section on its web site since 2008, but we’ll be adding to this collection now that my daughter has announced her engagement.
In addition to these tips, The Monroe News and Monroe on a Budget have a shared Pinterest board about budget weddings!
BEST ADVICE EVER
Fashion and jewelry
- 20 tips for saving money on an engagement ring.
- An affordable woman’s suit in pretty colors? Set your search to “church suits.”
- Brides Across America: wedding gowns for military brides.
- Brides explain how to stay in a dress budget.
- Courthouse wedding fashion – simple, but still a bride.
- Engagement bling for the ring discussion.
- How to make your own wedding or First Communion veil.
- Keepsakes for one event = keepsakes for later.
- The wedding pearls that came from a department store.
- Vintage wedding gown? It’s frugal only if you love it and it fits.
- Wedding gowns for SE Michigan brides on tight budgets.
- Weddings on a budget: recycled jewelry.
- Weddings on a budget: the rings.
- What happens to heartbreak diamonds?
- Why not make some pillows from that dress fabric?
- Easy, budget-friendly cake and cookie ideas at Party Pinching.
- Weddings on a budget: the cupcake alternative.
- Weddings on a budget: the do-it-yourself cake.
Ceremonies and locations
- Church weddings on a budget? Yes, it’s possible.
- Dear Abby readers respond on renewing wedding vows.
- Funeral homes as special occasion sites?
- How to get married at Monroe County Courthouse.
- Weddings on a budget: reception sites on a budget?
- What’s a courthouse wedding like in Monroe, Mich.?
- How to have a dollar store wedding.
- Weddings on a budget: the flower budget.
- Weddings on a budget: the flower party.
- Weddings on a budget: recycling those flower and decorations.
Attendants and guests
- Attending a wedding without breaking the bank.
- CNN: The high cost of being a bridesmaid.
- Sometimes that wedding gift is all the guest can afford.
- Weddings on a budget: be kind to your bridesmaids.
- Weddings on a budget: frugal bridesmaids’ attire.
- Weddings on a budget: more discussion on bridesmaids’ outfits.
- Weddings on a budget: my grandmother’s bridesmaids’ dress.
- Weddings on a budget: my maid of honor’s attire.
- Weddings on a budget: Too broke to be your maid of honor?
Showers and pre-parties
- Weddings on a budget: BBB’s tips on wedding photographers.
- Weddings on a budget: the engagement photo.
- Weddings on a budget: more on photography.
Renewal of vows
- Weddings on a budget: the renewal of vows.
- Weddings on a budget: the couple that never got a formal wedding.
Budget-minded discussion points
- Brides on a budget cut back during a recession.
- CNN: iReporters and their weddings on a budget.
- David’s Bridal reports 2011 brides looking at small weddings.
- Dear Abby: Friends pitch in for a wedding.
- How Briana held a wedding for $1,000.
- If you don’t want a “wedding,” don’t have one. Here’s why.
- NPR Talk of the Nation’s interview on insanity-free, practical weddings.
- Planning a party on a budget?
- Planning a wedding on a budget tips from 5/3 bank.
- Reality check: No one is entitled to a “nice wedding.”
- The wedding scrapbook that became a family history project.
- USA Today: the budget weddings are in vogue.
- Weddings on a budget: financial lessons from a bridal show.
- Weddings on a budget: flexibility helps a lot.
- Weddings on a budget: the pre-marital counseling.
- Weddings on a budget: wedding insurance.
- Weddings on a budget: your life ain’t reality TV.
- A wedding planning book for less than $10? Here’s how to do it.
Also of note: I used to include bridal expo announcements in the weddings on a budget discussions.
But the vendor shows held in Monroe County, Mich., are small events, serving as open houses for banquet halls or craft stores than a true one-stop shopping event for the brides. Because of that, a local bride should expect to attend two or three such events to really do some comparison shopping and see a range of ideas.
Last updated Oct. 10, 2014.