Weddings on a budget
You might think that it’s a recession-era concern to have a budget-friendly wedding.
Actually, no! I’ve created a family history scrapbook that features wedding stories from as far back in the family line as I can track them down, and the majority of them would not be considered “society” weddings. Many of the weddings in our family included budget-friendly details such as decorations made by the bride or her family, or the couple wearing “Sunday best” instead of wedding attire.
Here are the Monroe on a Budget archives of weddings on a budget tips:
Fashion and jewelry
- 20 tips for saving money on an engagement ring.
- An affordable woman’s suit in pretty colors? Set your search to “church suits.”
- Brides Across America: wedding gowns for military brides.
- Brides explain how to stay in a dress budget.
- Courthouse wedding fashion – simple, but still a bride.
- Engagement bling for the ring discussion.
- How to make your own wedding or First Communion veil.
- Keepsakes for one event = keepsakes for later.
- Vintage wedding gown? It’s frugal only if you love it and it fits.
- Wedding gowns for SE Michigan brides on tight budgets.
- Weddings on a budget: recycled jewelry.
- Weddings on a budget: the rings.
- What happens to heartbreak diamonds?
- Why not make some pillows from that dress fabric?
- Easy, budget-friendly cake and cookie ideas at Party Pinching.
- Weddings on a budget: the cupcake alternative.
- Weddings on a budget: the do-it-yourself cake.
Ceremonies and locations
- 10 reasons why your first wedding booking is the church or ceremony site.
- Church weddings on a budget? Yes, it’s possible.
- Dear Abby readers respond on renewing wedding vows.
- Funeral homes as special occasion sites?
- Weddings on a budget: reception sites on a budget?
- Weddings on a budget: the renewal of vows.
- What’s a courthouse wedding like in Monroe, Mich.?
- How to have a dollar store wedding.
- Weddings on a budget: the flower budget.
- Weddings on a budget: the flower party.
- Weddings on a budget: recycling those flower and decorations.
Attendants and guests
- Attending a wedding without breaking the bank.
- CNN: The high cost of being a bridesmaid.
- Sometimes that wedding gift is all the guest can afford.
- Weddings on a budget: be kind to your bridesmaids.
- Weddings on a budget: frugal bridesmaids’ attire.
- Weddings on a budget: more discussion on bridesmaids’ outfits.
- Weddings on a budget: my grandmother’s bridesmaids’ dress.
- Weddings on a budget: my maid of honor’s attire.
- Weddings on a budget: Too broke to be your maid of honor?
Showers and pre-parties
- Brides on a budget cut back during a recession.
- CNN: iReporters and their weddings on a budget.
- David’s Bridal reports 2011 brides looking at small weddings.
- Dear Abby: Friends pitch in for a wedding.
- How Briana held a wedding for $1,000.
- NPR Talk of the Nation’s interview on insanity-free, practical weddings.
- Planning a party on a budget?
- Planning a wedding on a budget tips from 5/3 bank.
- Reality check: No one is entitled to a “nice wedding.”
- The wedding scrapbook that became a family history project.
- USA Today: the budget weddings are in vogue.
- Weddings on a budget: BBB’s tips on wedding photographers.
- Weddings on a budget: the couple that never got a formal wedding.
- Weddings on a budget: financial lessons from a bridal show.
- Weddings on a budget: flexibility helps a lot.
- Weddings on a budget: military complications.
- Weddings on a budget: more on photography.
- Weddings on a budget: the engagement photo.
- Weddings on a budget: the pre-marital counseling.
- Weddings on a budget: wedding insurance.
- Weddings on a budget: your life ain’t reality TV.
Also of note: I used to include bridal expo announcements in the weddings on a budget discussions.
But the vendor shows held in Monroe County, Mich., are small events, serving more as open houses for banquet halls or craft stores than a true one-stop shopping event for the brides. Because of that, a local bride should expect to attend two or three such events to really do some comparison shopping and see a range of ideas.
Last updated July 3, 2013.