Archive for September, 2008

Jo-Ann Fabric chairs need warning label

Thursday, September 25th, 2008

SmartSpace chairs sold at Jo-Ann Fabric stores are being recalled because they don’t have a warning label that says that the legs have to be locked before use. The company has had several reports of chairs collapsing when someone uses them.
The fix for the recall is simply the attachment of a warning label.
Details are here.

QVC deep fryers can overheat

Wednesday, September 24th, 2008

Cooks Essential deep fryers, sold mainly through the shopping channel QVC, are being recalled because they can overheat, creating a burn hazard.
Details may be found here.

Nickelodeon ads tout poor nutritional products

Wednesday, September 24th, 2008

Ads on Nickelodeon, the kids’ programming network, tout products to kids that are generally poor in nutritional value, according to a public interest group. This despite the network’s pledge to cut down on the junk food advertising.
The story is here.

Dark chocolate may aid heart health

Wednesday, September 24th, 2008

Another study finds that a half a bar of dark chocolate a week can reduce the chances of heart disease.
That’s sweet.
Details are here.

Apple iPhone adaptors recalled

Wednesday, September 24th, 2008

Compact USB electrical adaptors commonly used for the Apple iPhone are being recalled because the prongs that plug into the wall socket can break off and remain in the socket, posing a shock hazard.
Details on the problem may be found here.

FDIC offers account-coverage calculator

Tuesday, September 23rd, 2008

With the uncertainty in the financial community, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. has trotted out a public awareness campaign featuring personal finance adviser Suze Orman. They want people to more fully understand the benefits and limitations of FDIC deposit insurance. The customizable calculator lets you figure out whether your bank accounts are fully insured.
To use the calculator, click here.

Recessed CFL lights might not work

Tuesday, September 23rd, 2008

Compact fluorescent recessed ceiling lights are being recalled because they can fail to activate in an emergency. For details, click here.

Harry Potter bookends have high lead content

Tuesday, September 23rd, 2008

Bookends in the likenesses of Harry Potter characters are being recalled because the paint on them has excessive levels of lead. Details are here.

Deere tops lawnmower satisfaction survey

Monday, September 22nd, 2008

John Deere ranks highest in customer satisfaction for walk-behind lawn mowers in a first-of-its-kind survey by J.D. Power and Associates.
Honda and Toro ranked second and third, respectively. Details are here.

Headlamps have defective batteries

Monday, September 22nd, 2008

MYO headlamps have rechargeable batteries that are defective and can result in fire, possibly burning or injuring the wearer.
More than 300,000 of the headlamps are in the marketplace. Details on the recall may be found by clicking here.

SCUBA air regulators missing diaphragm

Wednesday, September 17th, 2008

Some Aqua Lung SCUBA breathing regulators are missing a diaphragm, meaning some using the defective regulators could risk drowning.
Details of the recall are here.

Generic drug maker gets US warning

Wednesday, September 17th, 2008

Ranbaxy Labs, which produces 30 different generic drugs for the U.S. market, has gotten a warning letter from the Food and Drug Administration because of deficient manufacturing practices.
Details and list of drugs affected can by found by clicking here.

More Simplicity cribs being recalled

Wednesday, September 17th, 2008

About 600,000 more Simplicity brand cribs — this time ones with side-drop gates — are being recalled because they pose a strangulation and suffocation hazard to infants.
Details may be found here.

Strangulation prompts soccer net recall

Wednesday, September 17th, 2008

Some Regents soccer goal nets are being recalled because a child strangled in one of them.
More information can be found here.

Kids’ water bottles recalled

Wednesday, September 17th, 2008

Water bottles for kids sold at Pottery Barn have sip tops that can detach and cause a choking hazard to youngsters.
About 20,000 of them are being recalled. Details are here.