Archive for November, 2008

Window blinds recalled after strangulation

Friday, November 21st, 2008

IKEA is recalling about 670,000 IRIS and ALVINE Roman Blinds (another 4.8 million were sold globally) after the death of a 1-year-old in Connecticut who became entangled in the blind cords and strangled.
Details about the recall may be found here.
And Green Mountain Vista is recalled about 7,500 of the Roman window blinds it sold after a 2-year-old Connecticut kid nearly strangled on the cords of the insulated shades.
Information about that recall is here.
For a more detailed explanation of the dangers of such products, check out this Consumer Product Safety Commission brochure.

Bead maze toys have cut hazard

Friday, November 21st, 2008

Bead maze toys made by ImagiPlay are being recalled because trees that are part of the toy can detach, exposing a sharp screw that can cut kids.
More information may be found here.

SCUBA air compressors are faulty

Friday, November 21st, 2008

Brownie’s Third Lung, electric or gas-powered air compressors for SCUBA divers, are being recalled because the components in the compressor can fail, cutting off the air supply to divers.
More information may be found here.

Pool toys sold at Target being recalled

Friday, November 21st, 2008

Dive sticks, a type of pool toy sold at Target stores, are being recalled because they pose an impalement hazard to kids.
About 365,000 of the items are being recalled. This is the second recall this year of this type of product.
Details and a photo can be found by clicking here.

Candles in tins can flare up

Friday, November 21st, 2008

Anthropologie Tin Candles, candles in decorative tins sold at Anthropologie stores nationwide, are being recalled because the last half-inch of wax can flare up, creating a fire hazard.
Details of the recall are here.

Lean Cuisine chicken meals contain plastic

Thursday, November 20th, 2008

Some varieties of Lean Cuisine chicken meals have been found to contain pieces of hard plastic. More than 800,000 pounds of the frozen, packaged meals have been recalled.
Details may be found here.

Childrens’ hooded shirts are choking hazard

Wednesday, November 19th, 2008

More children’s hooded jackets with drawstrings are being recalled because they are said to be a choking hazard.
Information and photos may be found here.

Gas relief drops for infants recalled

Wednesday, November 19th, 2008

Mylicon drops for infants that are supposed to ease gas pains in tikes are being recalled because about 12,000 bottles might contain small metal fragments.
More information may be found here.

Nestle pulls cereal from shelves

Wednesday, November 19th, 2008

Nestle is withdrawing from the U.S. market its Farinha Lactea cereal because the product is made in Brazil and might contain traces of a wheat pesticide not permitted to be in food in the U.S. The cereal mainly is sold in Portuguese communities in the U.S. and although the pesticide is permitted in Brazil and amounts well below Brazilain standards for food content, it technically is illegal here.
More details may be found here.

GE, Kenmore ovens can overheat

Tuesday, November 18th, 2008

General Electric, Kenmore and Monogram wall ovens can overheat and cause a fire on the self-cleaning cycle if a consumer has removed and reattached the oven door incorrectly.
This applies to nearly a quarter-million wall ovens and only to wall ovens.
About 28 incidents have been reported in connection with the problem.
A listing of affected ovens is included in the recall notice.

Bicycle light batteries can overheat

Tuesday, November 18th, 2008

Some lithium ion batteries used in bicycle lights can overheat and burn consumers.
A recall is under way.

Acne cream contains bacteria

Friday, November 14th, 2008

Tubes of acne cream sold at Kroger, Walmart and Dollar General are being recalled because some have been found to contain bacteria.
Details on the recall are here.

Feds go after Internet payday lenders

Friday, November 14th, 2008

The Federal Trade Commission is going after a number of companies that marketed payday loans over the Internet and misled consumers.
Details of the charges and a list of the companies can be found in the agency’s news release.

Kids two-way radios are burn hazard

Friday, November 14th, 2008

Cobra Electronics two-way radios sold at Toys R Us stores have a battery compartment that can leak, causing a burn hazard.
More information is here.

Swim & Score Dive Stix pose dangers

Friday, November 14th, 2008

Swim & Score Dive Stix, plastic tubes that kids play with in pools, are dangerous because they pose and impalment hazard.
Details of the recall are here.