Archive for November, 2011

United Commercial Credit shut down

Thursday, November 3rd, 2011

The state Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation (OFIR) has shut down an operation claiming to be a Detroit mortgage company called “United Commercial Credit” by ordering it to cease and desist from doing business.
OFIR believes that the bogus company, through its Web site, http://www.unitedcommercialcredit.com was posing as a legitimate mortgage and lending company in an attempt to steal consumers’ money and identities. The fraudulent company was encouraging customers to apply for loans by providing personal information including Social Security and financial account numbers.
“This looks like a classic advance fee scam, where victims are enticed into paying upfront fees for services they never receive,” OFIR Commissioner Kevin Clinton said. “OFIR will remain committed to protecting consumers and shutting down these fraudulent companies.”
OFIR contacted United Commercial Credit’s Web site host and the Web site has been shut down.
After a consumer complaint, OFIR investigated and found that United Commercial Credit was not licensed under the state’s Mortgage Brokers, Lenders and Servicers Licensing Act.
To find out if a mortgage company is licensed to do business in the state, consumers can contact OFIR toll-free at 877-999-6442 or visit the agency’s website www.michigan.gov/ofir and click “Who We Regulate.”
To view OFIR’s cease and desist order, visit: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/United_Commercial_Credit_-_CD_1_367640_7.pdf

Nasal decongestant tainted with bacteria

Thursday, November 3rd, 2011

Some bottles of Nostrilla Nasal Decongestant, sold over-the-counter at pharmacies nationwide are being recalled because they might be contaminated with bacteria.
For details on the recall, click here.

Magnetic sketchboards being recalled

Thursday, November 3rd, 2011

Toulouse LapTrec magnetic sketchboards, sold at Target and other stores, are being recalled because the magnetic tip of the writing pen can detach and pose a hazard to tots.
For details on the recall, click here.