My Little Celiac

PhotobucketThis is my granddaughter Addisyn Taylor, pictured with my oldest daughter Tara, at Mrs. Mary’s day care.  Addy (as I call her) was visiting her older sister Ava for the daycare Valentine party.  Addisyn recently had a full page article written up in the Toledo Blade concerning Celiac disease, which she has.

Addy’s mother Courtney (our #5 daughter) is a registered nurse at Oakwood Hospital in Dearborn.  Addy was a fussy baby, and always seemed to have a bloated stomach.  She was extremely tiny, very fair, and a picky eater.  About a year ago Courtney became suspicious about her daughters constant belly aches, and started pushing her Pediatrician to do some test.  A Specialist was called in, and 12 stomach biopsies all came back positive for celiac disease.  With this ailment, her system cannot process any wheat or gluten products.  She is hyper-sensitive to anything involving these two items.

In the above picture she is frosting her “own” cookie, brought from home.  It is made from rice, and taste surprisingly good.  The knife can not be one the other kids used, and the day-care workers have to be aware of Addy’s needs.  She was once given a wheat based cracker, on one of her visits, and it made her quite sick.  It’s a constant vigil to make sure she stays safe and healthy.

At home she has her own toaster, frying pan, and special groceries.  A one pound bag of wheat free/gluten free pretzels cost almost $9.00.  My daughter has stayed on top of this aberration in Addy’s life very well.  Her last Doctor visit revealed she had gained weight, and her blood work was normal.  If any of you readers have been affected by the same disease, and could give Courtney some pointers or advice, her e-mail is caataylor3@yahoo.com.

One of these days I’m going to write about Addisyn’s sister Ava who has a severe peanut allergy, but that’s another story.

Mike

7 Responses to “My Little Celiac”

1. mary says:

Courtney you rock! As a mom I can’t imagine the constant checking of ingrediants. Just like you said uncle Mike the cost of these specialized groceries are steep! We, or at least I, take our families health for granted too often.

2. ProfessionalShopper says:

Congratulations to your daughter for being proactive in her daughter’s care.

I strongly suggest, if she does not already, that she checks out Trader Joe’s Market for gluten/wheat free products. They have a lot of options and the prices are much more fair than Meijer. The website is http://www.traderjoes.com I know there is a store between 7 and 8 mile on Haggerty in Livonia. It is near the Costco there, west of 275.

Also, if your daughter has an HSA or another type of healthcare spending account, she maybe able to use those fund to “purchase” groceries to meet Addy’s dietary requirements. It is a hassle as you have to record the price difference of the ‘regular’ product vs. the gluten free product to determine the amount that is billable for the account, but it could save her money in the long run. She can contact her individual plan to check their policies.

3. mike ansel says:

Dear Professional Shopper. Thanks we appreciate your quick response, and helpful input. I will pass this information on to Courtney.

4. Arthur says:

Wow. I won’t go into the details, but I know what it’s like to have to be picky about food. With that being said, though, I can’t imagine how hard it has to be to find foods for little Addy.

Hopefully mom gets a ton of responses and tips from this post.

5. gary says:

Its tough to watch these little ones struggle. I believe it adds another dimention to the caretakers though. Good mothers are priceless.

6. suzee says:

Thanks for sharing this Mike… It is so fortunate your daughter pursued her suspicions, and spared little Addy more suffering… I realize how discilpined all members of the family have to be to help Addy… hopefully there’s a Celiac support groups near your daughter to help her with where and what foods are available… it helps so much to talk with other parents who’ve been there…

7. Food Allergy says:

I’ve cited this blog article in an essay I used for school, shoot me an e-mail if you want a copy!