Naturespeak A naturalist's view of the world

August 24, 2009

Lucky Black Squirrels

Filed under: Uncategorized — wykes @ 4:42 pm

Black Squirrels are inspirational creatures. Their sleek form and slightly skunky appearance are always cause for a second glance. Most people can tell you if there are black squirrels in their neighborhood even though they may be clueless as to the whereabouts of the Grey, Red, or Fox Squirrels.

London, Ontario, for instance, is known for it’s black squirrels. This Canadian berg has even been known to tout itself as the “Home of the Lucky Black Squirrels.” Although this is not the backbone of their public relation campaign, the creatures have attained the status of small fame in that community.  Back in 1961, ten of these fortunate dark squirrels were imported to Kent State University in Ohio where they prospered and multiplied on campus. I must admit that I’ve never heard of Kent State’s annual “Black Squirrel Festival” before researching this peice, but that would be because my kids didn’t end up going to school there. If they did, I probably would have been the first one in line to get myself a Black Squirrel Festival T-shirt (you know, the plain black shirt with white letters saying “The Black Squirrel Fest at Night”.

If you are a member of a community that hasn’t recognized its population of black squirrels yet, you’d better get busy before the truth gets out. Black squirrels are really grey. They are, in reality, melanistic versions of Eastern Grey Squirrels – genetic “freaks'”of a sort that express an unusual amount of black pigment, or melanin. Some show more black than others and many exhibit a lighter brown tail (see below and here), but all are darker than the norm. The normal coloration of this species consists of a grizzled light grey coat with a white tummy and reddish brown sides (see here). On rare occasions, individual black squirrel pups are born within normal grey colored litters. The black gene is trumped by the grey gene in most cases, so this genetic trait tends to wash out after a generation or two. In the overall eastern North American population, the melanistic varieties appear every about every 1 in 10,000 births, but this figure is very misleading.

In fact, here in the northern part of their range, the darker versions predominate. As you move further south in their range, the ratio of black to grey individuals flip-flops until you find that there are few, if any, black individuals found in the deep south population. There is some evidence that the black eastern greys are better able to cope with lower winter temperatures, although the reason for this is unclear.

Even though black hair absorbs heat better, their blackness alone doesn’t appear to make much difference. Studies have shown that melanistic squirrels can generate and retain heat better than their gray siblings (three out of four doctors agree). All Grey Squirrels, light and dark, have a “venous shunt” at the base of the tail which aids in the thermoregulation department. Well, all this is fascinating, but I believe the Londoners, or whatever they call themselves, have the real answer as to why there are more black squirrels in the north. They are just plain lucky, that’s all!

17 Comments »

1. Aw, I love the “let’s rumble” pose! Exeter, Ontario, touts itseld as the home of white squirrels. I went there but didn’t see any white squirrels!

Comment by Monica the Garden Faerie — August 25, 2009 @ 10:37 am

2. Great piece! Venous shunt, eh? Who knew!

Comment by Ellen — August 28, 2009 @ 3:42 pm

3. Public Relations is all about pleasing the common people.-“.

Comment by Zoey Diaz — June 30, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

4. there are times that good public relations cannot be always achieved ‘~”

Comment by Roof Helmet — December 21, 2010 @ 12:13 pm

5. It’s definitely a rare sight to see a black squirrel as I’ve never seen one. Truly inspiring to see these pictures here on your site. Now I’ll be watching for them more in nature.

Comment by Gary G — April 14, 2011 @ 12:28 am

6. I would love to see a black squirrel upon reading this post. I might try to see one when I go to London next week. I hope I’d be lucky to see this rare color of squirrel.

Comment by Daniel Browning, Jr. — April 14, 2011 @ 8:27 am

7. We have black squirrels here in zip code area of 60047 (part of Lake County, Illinois).

(Thank you for your blog. I’ve learned so much. So interesting.)

Comment by Carol C — March 26, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

8. An unputdownable discussion is worth annotate. I consider that you can correspond much about this content, it may not be a preconception subordinate but generally fill are certainly not sufficiency to speak in specified topics. To the succeeding. Cheers similar to your Khmer Karaoke Stars .

Comment by Katelyn Vandellen — November 27, 2012 @ 2:33 am

9. I simply see your blog and study your Article as well as extremely Interesting.i have found excellent details out of this write-up all night to utilize these details..Person u r fantastic doodlekit ..we m gonna keep your page therefore daily i could call at your internet site and also have some understanding new..i will make an effort to up-date my personal feedback everyday in order to u…my partner and i m really impressed with your knowledge along with your distinct means of posting.

Comment by Circuit City Coupon Code — November 28, 2012 @ 6:43 pm

10. Of course like your website but you require to check the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very bothersome to tell the truth nevertheless I’ll definitely come back once again.

Comment by Compaq batteries — November 29, 2012 @ 6:20 am

11. I’ll immediately seize your rss feed as I can’t find your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please permit me realize in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Comment by Shantae Twogood — December 3, 2012 @ 1:57 am

12. Hey, you used to write magnificent, but the last few posts have been kinda boring… I miss your tremendous writings. Past few posts are just a bit out of track! come on!

Comment by Mariana Huisenga — December 3, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

13. I would like to express my respect for your generosity giving support to folks who have the need for aid with this theme. Your unique commitment to acquiring the solution across was extraordinarily informative and has all the time helped some individuals a lot like me to realize their ambitions. The warm and friendly valuable information denotes a great deal to me and a whole lot a lot more to my workplace workers. Very best wishes; from every person of us.

Comment by acceleration mortgage — December 6, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

14. You will discover many fascinating time limits in this posting on the other hand I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There exists some validity on the other hand I’m going to take hold opinion till I check into it additional. Good write-up , thanks so we want additional! Integrated in FeedBurner as effectively

Comment by Lenovo Chargers — December 6, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

15. This must be 1 of my favored posts! And on prime of thats its also extremely useful topic for newbies. thank quite a bit for the info!

Comment by get taller — December 8, 2012 @ 3:54 am

16. Thank you for discovering the time to debate this, Personally i think strongly over it and like learning read additional about this topic. Whenever potential, once you obtain expertise, could you mind updating your weblog with added information and facts? It is extremely good for me.

Comment by wedding ideas — December 15, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

17. Excellent investigate, I in simple terms passed this distinct onto a pristine colleague who was just doing fairly examination in that. With they just purchased me lunchtime because I ran crossways it regarding him grin Consequently satisfactory, i’ll rephrase that: Thanks pertaining to lunch! Whenever you’ve an booming administration you’ve got a dictatorship. by Aggravate Azines Truman.

Comment by filmy 3d online za darmo — April 25, 2013 @ 3:45 pm