Naturespeak A naturalist's view of the world

July 22, 2010

On Frogs and Their Nostrils

Filed under: Uncategorized — wykes @ 9:08 pm

Had I of titled this blog “On Green Frogs and their Manner of Calling” I would have instantly turned away those of you who are looking for light summer reading. It would have sounded far too scientific and, well, far too boring for a good beach read.  Now, the subject of frog nostrils is much more intriguing. The mere fact that frogs have nostrils might be shocking enough to prompt the reader to continue on. O.K., so it’s not that intriguing. I take it that anyone reading this blog is not looking for a light summer read but a deep fascinating insightful look into the world of nature and how she works. What better way to do so than to delve deep into a frog’s nose. O.K., so that’s not true either. So what of it? The frog and his nose is the subject that needs exploring – even if it is in a shallow and superficial way.

The shallows rimming the edge of Dollar Lake are choked with all manner of submerged aquatic plants and floating lilies. Towards dusk, these places begin to resound with the clucking calls of the resident male Green Frogs. The silent sunset scene pictured above lacks the necessary amphibian sound track. These large frogs, second in size only to the portly Bullfrogs, can put out a hefty burp of a call but it fails to carry far. It is has a hollow quality that dissipates like a smoke ring. The calls are random and widely spaced, so they never become irritating to the human ear. I’m sure they are music to the feminine Greens, however.

One especially talkative fellow was located a few feet from my dock and I was prompted to watch him with great interest. Normally watching a stoic green frog is like watching paint dry since they will remain motionless for hours at a time. This one was in a calling mode and performed his task while floating half-submerged on the surface.  His sequence was basically the same each time. The first noise out was the trademark “plunk” – a sound likened to plucking a loose banjo string. This was followed by a series of rolling “bulla-rup bulla-rup” vocalizations terminated by a final terse “tuck”. The last note had the quality of knocking on wood. Watch the video here and you’ll see and hear what I mean (note the competing notes of another green frog nearby).

Green Frogs have paired vocal sacs. Each time a rumble or a cluck is produced, the yellow throat pouch expands forward and around the sides under the ear drums. Air is forced between lung and throat and the whole body is involved in the thrust. The internal pressure even pushes out the ear drums a bit.  Up until now, I had assumed that a single gulp of air was alternately sucked and blown through the vocal chords during this process, but in looking at the video and examining my photos I discovered something interesting (perhaps even fascinating) was happening. During the actual noise production, the frog closed his nostrils and opened them to inhale between notes. Like any good singer, he has mastered the art of breath spacing.

This is not something that would be noticeable without film evidence. Take another look at the video sequence and compare the two calling photos. In the first photo (above and detail here) the frog is inhaling and the tiny nostrils are wide open. In the second photo (below) the frog is in mid-call and the nostrils are pinched shut.

That, my friend is the singular purpose of this blog. If you seek more, you’ll need to haul out a worn copy of the “Biology of the Amphibia” and take it to the beach for a good long read.

10 Comments »

1. That is so cool! I do a toad & frog survey in Ann Arbor, but it’s at night and by sound–so I never see the cuties. Also, I’m only familiar with the plunk, so it was cool to hear and SEE the other sounds. And of course to learn about nostrils. Is this true for other MI frog/toad species, too?

Comment by Monica the Garden Faerie — July 23, 2010 @ 9:06 pm

2. Your post is a timely coontiburitn to the debate

Comment by Sherry — April 17, 2016 @ 6:09 pm

3. Que gracioso, si anoche les tocaron el timbre. No va a pasar nada y es algo que todo el que ve la tira esta esperando. Siempre hacen lo mismo, no pusieron musica cuando se empezaron a besar ni nada y era obvio que los iban a interrumpir. De onda, dejense de joder.

Comment by http://www.blrimages.net/ — April 28, 2016 @ 9:17 pm

4. I precisely wished to thank you really significantly however once more. I’m not confident the things that I may possibly have accomplished without the type of creative concepts discussed by you directly on such region. It seemed to be a very challenging difficulty for me, but coming across a specialised approach you managed that took me to weep with gladness. Now i’m pleased for the details and as properly , hope that you know what a terrific job your are doing teaching numerous other people by way of the use of a web site. More than likely you’ve never got to know all of us.

Comment by http://www.blrimages.net/ — April 28, 2016 @ 9:31 pm

5. has anything really changed? or is it just the fact that your endline or core line, or whatever, just needs to good – as always.’True’ in the Wassup campaign for instance just nailed it after all the gags. I don’t think that will ever date.For me, that’s what’s interesting about lines. Design will date or at least be fixed in time, but a great line will always be a great line.But it has to be a truism I think. The Future’s Bright The Future’s Orange sounds well dated to me now for instance. Or maybe that’s because it always was addy.

Comment by http://www.blrimages.net/ — April 28, 2016 @ 9:31 pm

6. bklynzfynest21im not really a fan of the maybelline brush that it comes with. i have asian eyes and when i first used the liner, the brush made a much thicker line than i expected. the brush reminds me of a lip brush…but i like the consistency of the gel liner

Comment by auto insurance — May 15, 2016 @ 9:29 pm

7. VICTORRRIIIIEEEE !!!! Am invins !!! Va rugam pregatiti PET-urile pentru lapte si miere. La centrul de distributie va recomandam sa veniti pe autostrazile care le vom termina cam … peste doua -trei zile. De giratorii s-au ocupat ailalti…

Comment by http://www.palestinesolidaritycampaign.com/ — August 8, 2016 @ 12:02 pm

8. Mohon info untuk murbaut dia. 8 x 100 mm hot dip galvanized kebutuhan 4850 pcs, murbaut dia.6 x 100 mm hot dip galvanized kebutuhan 4200 pcs .Demikian terima kasih

Comment by http://siteinsider.us/ocgov.com — October 9, 2016 @ 10:00 pm

9. What an inspiring piece of art. Your papers and embellishements just compliment each other beautifully. The Midnight Madness Design Team thanks you for joining us in our challenge this week. Hope to see you again soon. Blessings, Tracy–MMDT

Comment by http://www./ — October 23, 2016 @ 11:50 am

10. tin minte ca spunei ca esti un utilizator de Daca nu gresesc, atunci poti plati factura ENEL online, pe factura scrie codul de client si numarul de referinta interna. Eu asa platesc ENEL-ul.

Comment by stuttgart kredit zinsen — February 8, 2017 @ 10:15 am