Naturespeak A naturalist's view of the world

October 18, 2012

A Melanistic Moment

Filed under: Uncategorized — wykes @ 10:46 am

One technique of a wandering naturalist is to wander the back roads until something presents itself. On a particularity crummy day in the backwoods of Northern Michigan I did just that. It was one of those dark days when you can’t quite convince yourself that you are totally awake. Light rain showers punctuated the morning drive and seemed to set the tone for the rare things I did come across.

Let me tell you what I saw and go from there. There was a spoon, a Cyclops eating a sign, and a melanistic deer. Now if that list doesn’t instill a sense of curiosity then you needn’t proceed any further. If it does, then please do (proceed, that is, to the next paragraph). Even if you have seen a spoon before, you have to admit that the last two items certainly need some explanation.

First, the kitchen utensil. My random drive brought me to a spoon in the road. Now, everyone knows what to do when they arrive at a fork in the road – they need to make a decision, right? They either take the right or left route. Robert Frost would opt for the route less travelled while others would take the route indicated by the poet Garmin. There is no straight option – that would lead to a plummeting (into the ditch) followed by a towing (by the Frost Towing company).  But, what does one do when a spoon is present? This is a rare thing.

My road spoon was flattened by previous traffic (which on this road is not very frequent) but it was still identifiable. I decided that one is required to turn around when a spoon is present, so I did. The effort did not result in anything especially notable except for leading me to a sign-eating tree.

To be precise, this tree was a sugar maple, and the sign it was consuming was a well-rusted “No Trespassing” sign. Only the “Tres” part was visible, so I have to assume that’s what it said, anyway. Perhaps it noted “Mauvaise enfant Tres bon permit” as a crude French way to announce “Very good poor child allowed.” Perhaps the owners of the place were announcing their willingness to help the unfortunate. However, in this part of Northern Michigan the only written French appears as “No” in the numerous “No Trespassing” signs.

Regardless of what the sign used to say, that the maple tree in question was a Cyclops was not in doubt. Call it a branch scar if you must, but that tree was definitely looking at the world through one eye. This one would fit nicely into a Halloween landscape. Like the spoon, I saw this rare item as a signal to turn around once again.

This time I spotted a trio of White-tailed Deer grazing at the far end of an open field. Because one of them appeared nearly black, I stopped to get a better look – thinking it was an escaped exotic such as a Fallow Deer or some African Antelope. It turned out to be a Whitetail, but was a rare example of a Melanistic deer.  Albino deer may be uncommon but melanistic deer are much scarcer.

Everybody knows what albinism is – or at least they know without knowing that they know. In a black and white world, an albino is all white. Individuals lack skin pigment of any kind. There is no such thing as a partial albino – something either is or it is not an albino. Any mix of white and normal is called Pie-bald. Melanism, on the other hand, is a different beast – so to speak – because it involves the over production of a skin pigment called Melanin. The pigment can be produced anywhere from slightly over done to totally dominant. So, an animal can be semi-melanistic. It seems that recessive genes are responsible for this effect, so it appears on a hit or miss basis in most critters (although it is very common in Grey Squirrels).

Melanisim is very rare in White-tailed Deer. Over the years there have been notable examples of jet-black deer and random spottings of very-dark deer with varying shades of black. Texas is apparently the hot-spot for black deer in North America, in case you are interested.

My deer retained her white belly and under parts as well as a fringe of reddish orange on the legs and top of the head. The rest was a deep ashy gray and resembled, for lack of a better comparison, the shading on an antelope. The dark portion ended at a definitive border on her flanks. She was a beautiful animal (and this coming from a man who has expressed on more than one occasion that deer are ugly).

As an astute reader you might recall that I was out on a misty day and might be thinking that she was just wet. I can put that aside because wet deer are more intensely orangish or light gray (depending on the season) and are not darker. Secondly, she brought along additional proof that rain had nothing to do with her shading.

She bounded off after only a few seconds of observation. Her two fawns followed suit. The trio vanished within a few bounds but not before revealing that her fawns were normally colored. They were wet little orange spotted deer.

Ahh, it was a rare day in the North Woods. I’ve been past that point several times over the past month to see if I could spot her again, but without luck. The Cyclops is still there, however.

17 Comments »

1. Those sign-eaters aren’t really trees, but Ents. They can be found all over, but you have to take the photo quickly before they walk away!

Comment by Kathy Dennis — October 18, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

2. Joining social meetings can be hard of course, if you leave damp foggy foot tracks when you walk, you will be the actual centre involving attraction yet not for the right factors. And thus, it can be of utmost importance that you just find a solution. These kind of simple home remedies will help you obtain results very intense.

Comment by Jolyn Gerloff — November 26, 2012 @ 3:38 pm

3. It has always been my belief that great writing like this takes research and talent. It’s very apparent you’ve done your homework. Wonderful job!

Comment by cuero — November 28, 2012 @ 3:07 am

4. I merely see your web log and browse your Article as well as extremely Exciting.I’ve found good information using this article all night to use these records..Person oughout third fantastic tumblr ..i mirielle gonna useful web page thus everyday i’m able to go to your web site as well as have some understanding new..let me try to bring up to date my own suggestions daily in order to oughout…we michael truly pleased using your expertise and your specific strategy for posting.

Comment by Circuit City Coupon Code — November 28, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

5. A powerful share, I just given this onto a colleague who was performing somewhat evaluation on this. And he in actual fact purchased me breakfast as a result of I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I truly feel strongly about it and really like studying far more on this subject. If possible, as you become experience, would you thoughts updating your weblog with far more details? It is highly valuable for me. Huge thumb up for this blog put up!

Comment by maffei corsi — November 29, 2012 @ 4:42 am

6. whoah this blog is great i really like studying your articles. Stay up the good paintings! You recognize, lots of individuals are looking round for this information, you can aid them greatly.

Comment by Luna Stevens — November 30, 2012 @ 5:40 am

7. I appreciate your information in this article. It’s smart, well-written and effortless to comprehend. You’ve my attention on this subject. I will be back.

Comment by suchbegriffen rufen — November 30, 2012 @ 10:55 am

8. I’m impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and engaging, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The issue is an issue that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I’m very happy that I found this in my search for something regarding this.

Comment by Sommer Sissel — December 1, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

9. You got a quite fantastic web site, Sword lily I observed it by means of yahoo.

Comment by cigarettes — December 3, 2012 @ 7:30 am

10. You lost me, buddy. I mean, I assume I get what youre expressing. I have an understanding of what you’re saying, but you just seem to have overlooked that you can find some other men and women inside the world who see this issue for what it genuinely is and might not agree with you. You might be turning away alot of individuals who may have been fans of your web site.

Comment by feel good bag — December 3, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

11. When do you feel this Real Estate market will go back in a positive direction? Or is it nonetheless too early to tell? We are seeing plenty of housing foreclosures in Altamonte Springs Florida. What about you? Would love to get your feedback on this.

Comment by hemorrhoids home remedy — December 4, 2012 @ 6:22 am

12. Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this post is amazing, nice written and come with almost all vital infos. I would like to see more posts like this .

Comment by Caryn Schofell — December 4, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

13. Not long noticed concerning your internet internet site and are nonetheless already reading along. I assumed i’ll leave my initial comment. i do not verify what saying except that I’ve enjoyed reading. Nice blog. ill be bookmarking keep visiting this internet web site actually typically.

Comment by bi weekly mortgage payments vs monthly — December 6, 2012 @ 5:16 pm

14. Hi! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to give it a look. I’m definitely

Comment by How To Spy On A Cell Phone — March 8, 2013 @ 10:08 pm

15. I think that similar homepage creators would need to take into account this kind of web site as a model. Remarkably clean and intuitive style and design, together with brilliant content material! You’re a specialist regarding this area 🙂

Comment by antique wooden bed frames — May 14, 2013 @ 3:15 am

16. I really feel other blog site enthusiasts will need to look into this unique internet site as a model. Completely clean and uncomplicated styling, combined with incredible website content! You are an expert regarding this type of topic area 🙂

Comment by wooden saddle stools — May 14, 2013 @ 3:52 pm

17. I feel other internet site operators really should think about this valuable blog site as a model. Surprisingly clean and user-friendly styling, not to mention awesome material! You are a specialist in this important issue 🙂

Comment by bedroom vanity benches — May 15, 2013 @ 8:40 pm